Find the very best ways to save money when renting a car. Get discounts on car rentals and find coupons to save even more. LOZO has the very best resources for finding the best prices on car rentals, strategies for how and when to rent, and more.
Here's the LOZO: A How-to Guide
The official LOZO step-by-step guide to getting the best price on a car rental. Follow these steps to rent for less.
- Get a cash refund from online travel agents
Oftentimes you get a better rate and more flexible terms (such as for refunds and changes) when you book travel directly with the provider. But other times you can benefit from the price protections offered by online travel agents. For example, [...]
- Save money on car rental insurance - you may already be covered
Save money on car rental insurance by checking with your regular insurance & credit card companies – you may already be covered.
Many car insurance policies cover you in any car you drive, including rentals. And some credit card [...]
- Sign up for frequent renter programs to get special discounts
Sign up for frequent renter programs and e-mail deal newsletters from your favorite companies to get special discounts on your next rental.
Most car rental agencies send out regular emails or newsletters alerting customers to great deals and [...]
- Save money by renting a car in town instead of at the airport
It is often cheaper to rent a car in the city or area you are visiting, rather than at the airport. You also save money on the car rental by not having to pay the extra airport tax, which can mean a substantial discount. Consider using other [...]
- Check with independent car rental agencies and regional chains to find good bargains
Sometimes smaller rental agencies can offer lower prices on cars than the national chains. Consider comparing prices at companies like Ace, Fox, Midway and Triangle, or search online or with a travel agent to find other agencies in the area you are [...]
- Bring your own map or GPS instead of renting one with a car
Have a smart-phone or iPhone? Download the GPS app before you pick up your car rental and always know where you're going. Alternatively, bring a GPS device from home if you have one, or even grab some maps before you travel. It will save the extra [...]
- Compare daily, weekly and weekend rates to get the best deals on car rentals
It is often cheaper to rent a car for a full week rather than for five days, because of special weekly rates. Also, weekend rates can be up to 50% cheaper than weekday rates. If your plans are flexible, get the best deal on a car by choosing the [...]
- Save on car rentals when you pre-pay through companies like Hertz and Budget
Because it is so common for travelers to cancel car reservations, companies like Hertz and Budget both offer significant savings when booking a nonrefundable, pre-pay fare on their websites. Although the obvious downside is that you cannot cancel [...]
- Look for coupons and discount codes to save money on car rentals, and then ask for further discounts at the counter
There are many places to find coupons for car rentals, such as the Yellow Pages, Entertainment Book, travel magazines and travel websites. In addition, many car rental companies give discounts to AAA, AARP, and warehouse club members, and to those [...]
- Going on a road trip? Take your own car, not a rental
You may be worried about "putting miles on your car" but in many cases it is still cheaper overall to take your own car on a road trip instead of renting one. Either way you're paying for gas, and the extra mileage on your car and the cost of the [...]
- If it's an option, have someone over the age of 25 do the renting and driving
Some car rental agencies will not rent to anyone under the age of 25. Others will, but at a costly additional charge per day. If traveling in a group or with family, be sure that someone older than 25 rents and drives the vehicle, to get a much [...]
- To maximize your budget, be smart about how and when to utilize one-way rentals
One-way rates are usually higher than regular daily rates. If necessary, consider the best way to keep the price down by planning your trip accordingly. For instance, if you need a one-way rental to get to your vacation destination, consider using [...]
- Secure the best rate - and save extra time and money - by traveling outside of peak periods and holidays
Everything travel-related is more expensive during the holidays. If you can schedule your car rental outside of these peak periods, you could save hundreds of dollars – not to mention the time & gas saved from not sitting in holiday traffic! [...]
- Save money by picking up and returning the car at the same time of day
Most car rental companies charge in 24-hour blocks. Depending on your flight schedule, you may be able to save a whole day’s rental by picking up an hour later or dropping off an hour earlier than your flight times.
- Return the car on time and with a full tank of gas to avoid excess (& often excessive) charges
Some companies only have a grace period on your drop-off time of 30-60 minutes. This means you may end up paying for an entire extra day just by being a couple of hours late. Likewise, most companies charge double (or more) the going rate for gas at [...]
- Be wise about car “class” to get the best deal on a rental
Compact and sub-compact rental cars most often have the cheapest rates, and the prices increase as the size and luxury of the cars do. It is worth checking the prices for all the classes of cars you are interested in and then comparing – you may [...]
- Free upgrades are often available just by asking
Many companies overbook their smallest cars, so you can often get an upgrade either for free or for just a few dollars more per day. All you have to do is ask. But remember, larger cars usually mean lesser gas mileage, so be sure it is an upgrade [...]